Wednesday, September 20, 2006

advent of fall


smore sock 003, originally uploaded by freeformkatia.

What is it about the change of seasons? The anticipation of a new season is exciting. After months of sweltering heat and wilting sunshine I look forward to a crisp cool morning (do I have to wear a sweater?!?), a refreshing breeze which carries a hint of rain (an umbrella?!?), a change in colour. The light is softer, the leaves are bright yellows, oranges, and reds, greens seem deeper ...

Fall is a time for new beginnings -- start of school, a fresh wardrobe (or the unearthing of last years wardrobe), once a time for a new student apartment with new surroundings in a new city. I think I still miss that. I sat outside yesterday during my lunch break, watched the students mill about and wound a skein of yarn into a ball to start a new sock. The colours fit the day -- browns, whites, grey.

It's the anticipation. Will the winter be calm? Will it snow? Will my house be cozy or drafty? Will Maja like the snow? Are we going to carve pumpkins for Hallowe'en? Bake apple pie? Where to put the Christmas tree? Am I ever going to finish those Christmas stockings I started LAST year?

time will tell.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fall has landed already in the west. The beautiful yellows, oranges and browns cover the city scape of Calgary. We've even had snow already. I miss the reds of the Soo terribly. Thank goodness Dad sends me a picture every year of my tree in the backyard.

Kati...you should write a book - you are a fantastic writer.

9/20/2006 09:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home